I think of of the first garage comp to focus almost exclusively on this vein of music was the "Shutdown '66" comp that came out in 1991. I read somewhere that the compiler, lacking any better category for describing these sad minor-chord ballads of love-lost and forlorn hearts, as simply "uncompables" because the average garage-head lust was aimed at suburban snot-nosed punk dementia.
Well, you know, punks have feeling too.
In fact, in my opinion, rock n' roll degenerates come in two flavors: cool, popular guys that turn to music because its a quick and easy way to get girls. These are the "Jim Morrisons" of the world and include anyone who's ever worn leather pants.
Then there are the hopeless-causes. These guys have either bad teeth, bad hair, bad skin, or all three. Girls don't like them and they turn to rock and roll out of shear desperation. This includes everyone who has ever been a Ramone. Chances are that hours of practicing "Stairway to Heaven" in their basement will, somehow, manage to magically inject them with just enough sex appeal to get laid at least once. But, unsurprisingly, this will not help them overcome their painful social incompetence and out of frustration they are forced to wright songs about the bad girls who they don't ever want to see again, the good girls who they do, and the girls who they just can't seem to get to notice them at all.
You'll notice that about halfway through, I sort of drop the theme of minor chord, organ heavy garage ballads a bit and throw in some baroque pop, moody rockers, and even a few better known mainstream bands like The Byrds, The Seeds, The Association, etc. I did it for variety, to appeal to a wider audience, and maybe I'll even pump out a second comp in a few short weeks.
Well, I'm off to my room now. I'm gonna go work on the intro to "Louie Louie" for a bit... I wonder if that girl from the soda-pop stand likes rock and roll....
1. Sandy In Motion - I'm a Walking Dream
2. The Lemon Drops - I Live in the Springtime
3. The Third Rail - No Return
4. John Brown's Bodies - Out Of My Mind
5. Unknown - We'll Do Things My Way
6. One of Hours - Psychedelic Illusions
7. Wimple Witch - Save My Soul
8. Sandy In Motion - I'm Crying Without You
9. The Nomads - How Many Times
10. Unknown - Except Me
11. The Flying Machine - Smile A Little Smile For Me
12. The Cyrkle - Turn Down Day
13. The Byrds - What's Happening?!?!
14. The Association - Along Comes Mary
15. The Ascots - I Need You
16. The De-Coys - Bad Times
17. The Seeds - Can't Seem To Make You Mine
18. The Choir - It's Cold Outside
19. ? And The Mysterians - Can't Get Enough Of You, Baby
20. The Tradewinds - New York's A Lonely Town- compiled by Denez "lonely-hearts" McAdoo
Some of this stuff is off of 45's I own, but a lot of it is from various compilations including Fuzz Pudding Factory: Incredible Sound Show Stories Vol. 12
, Teenage Shutdown 6: I'm Down Today
, RAVE: with the Amphetamine Generation, Chocolate Soup For Diabetics Vol. 3, Sigh, Cry, Die,
Relative Distance: New England Garage Bands, Ugly Things Vol. 1.
Either way, LEAVE A COMMENT
in the comments page, cuz that's where I hide my secret stash.